Thursday, August 9, 2012

lowcountry : part 1

After visiting the Charleston area last week, I'm surprised we all don't pack up all our things, hitch on a trailer, and drive South. I'm still dreaming of that sticky air. It makes my hair a complete hot mess, but I'd be willing to wear a lot of headbands to live the life.
Untitled
Every morning I would roll out of bed, grab the baby, grab some coffee, grab a nibble, and head to the porch straight in my pajamas. There was always a light breeze and we would entertain ourselves with beach toys, shells, rocks, and whatever we could find outside, until the rest of the crew woke up.
IMG_1625-small Untitled
The stove got cranking a little while later and breakfast got underway as we discussed the plan of the day. Our biggest decisions were… When are we beaching it? And where are we going to eat. Ahh, vacation life sure is something.
IMG_1827 photo 3-1
After a heavy dose of sunscreen and packing the wheelbarrow full of gear we would roll out the caravan and make it to the sand. Miriam's face would light up at the sight of blue umbrellas and as soon as she was out of that stroller it was go time. Back and fourth to the ocean we went. Construction of castles and moats began and the guys loved digging her a little baby-pool she could plop down in. All I can say is she was obsessed with the ocean like I've never seen and was not a bit scared, which of course scared me to death. Couldn't take my eyes off that little fish for a second! I wouldn't say it was the most relaxing, in fact I rarely sat down, but I loved seeing her so excited. The days of sitting with a magazine and getting a tan are over for a while. I shall return to you some day US weekly.
moosh-beach1 Untitled Untitled
After a few hours we'd head in for a bite of lunch and nap time. Now that was my time. I'd graze on leftovers and dive into my book on the hammock with a cold beer. Oh yes, the beach life was good.
Untitled Untitled
We ended up having our share of rainy days, but I didn't mind. It brings out the moodiness of the tide. One day the clouds really set in so we took that as our chance to take a drive. Momma stayed behind with Miriam (thank you momma) and the rest of us headed for Charleston for some history. First stop was Drayton Hall which kinda blew my mind. There sits this empty southern plantation house amongst these ancient old oak trees. All this beautiful detail, and symmetry, and history just waiting to tell it's story. We took the tour and took it all in. They sure don't make houses like this anymore.
drayton-hall Untitled celing-bw Untitled darkness bw-drayton-us
Untitled
By the time we left, stomachs were growling so after a quick debate we ended up at Butcher & Bee in the city. You kinda can't go wrong in Charleston with all the great food and this place hit the spot. Heirloom tomato & cucumber sandwich with a side of roasted okra… don't mind if I do.
Untitled photo 5 copy
Daddy decided we also needed to see the Aiken-Rhett home nearby which was very special. Not gonna lie, the audio tour was a little long and I was yawning after my large lunch, but it was still a must see.
Untitled Untitled
As we were headed back the island we did a quick detour to a  gallery on Church. Saw some gorgeous art that was, way, out of my price range, but what was in my price range lay right across the street at Goat. Sheep. Cow. My wallet opened right up for some french bread, salami, some sort of amazing cheese, and some red wine. That pretty much covers all the food groups right? Oh my lordy, my mouth is watering just describing it. Lunch bells ringing… guess I'll just have to do a part 2… be back later.








2 comments:

  1. Love it. Our bff got hitched at Drayton Hall under tents. It was magnificent! Next time we play!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm, Miriam is so big and adorable. And the outfits she wears? The monkey tunic is ridiculous! I cant take it!! Miss you guys! Move back to greenville already! :)

    ReplyDelete