Saturday, January 9, 2010

black eyed pea jamboree

Most people think to eat these little nuggets on New Years day for good luck. I do that too, but really, I like them year round. Maybe it's a southern thing, but I grew up eating black eyed peas all the time. Delicious in so many recipes, but my old standard is in a dip. Now, I can't take any credit for this recipe, as it comes from the m.o.m.s. cookbook via Rita Rose. But, my version is divine and is always the hit of the party, if I do say so myself! Not that I'm selfish, but....... I hesitate even sharing because that's how good it is. But we're friends and everyone should taste this in their lifetime. Seriously yall, you gotta make this right quick.

RITA'S FAMOUS BLACK EYED PEA DIP
3 cans black eyed peas (drained + rinsed)
1/2 stick butter
1 jalapeno, diced and seeds removed
1 small red onion, chopped
6-8 0z shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 can chopped green chilies

Melt the butter in microwave. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and heat in oven at 350 until cheese is melted and is heated through. Or you can heat it all in microwave - stirring occasionally. Serve with Tostitos.

IMG_8877

And since we're on the topic of b-e-peas… funny topic, but whatever, I made this recipe for husbands birthday. His only request was something new please. Well, I did a little flip-dee-loo through my cookbooks and found nothing that pleased him. So, I did the next best thing and looked on epicurious. Fabulous resource this whole online thing! My nose led me straight to a recipe called Garlicky Black-Pepper Shrimp & Black Eyed Peas. Whew, that's a mouth full and not a very good name. But, it was wonderful and pretty easy. Kind of like a Low Country stew or gumbo I'd say. We both went back for seconds which is a sure sign of a good thing. I lacked crusty bread, but it would sure be good to sop up all the broth as ya go.

<span class=

No comments:

Post a Comment