Friday, October 2, 2009

m.o.m.s + d.o.m.s

It's hard to be inspired every night to cook up something new. You get into a routine and end up making the same thing all the time, which is very boring. So the other night, I did what I normally do when I can't think of something for dinner... I looked through my cookbooks. One of my go-to fave's is the M.O.M.S. Cookbook (mothers of the magnificent seven). It's super fancy. Black & white pages with neon section tabs and a laminated cover. Well, if you're wondering why you haven't heard of this cookbook, there's a reason. There were only a limited number printed up. Created by the 7 mothers of a close group of friends in high school. The girls were headed off to college and the m.om.s. wanted to send off the d.o.m.s with a sweet little taste of home.

IMG_8967

They're a wildly fun bunch, but the moms + doms have also been through some really hard times together. Two of these beautiful mothers, got cancer and passed away. I know they are missed more that words can say. And I know the other moms feel like each of these girls is a daughter of their own. The joy and spirit of all of them, flow through each recipe every time I flip through the book.

IMG_8969

So, I was looking for a recipe where I didn't have to run to the grocery. My finger stopped on this truly southern casserole. It reminded me of something you'd find on a church buffet table. I say this because it involves 2 cans of cream of chicken. I thought this was a funny... "The casserole is the most characteristically Methodist foodstuff. A Methodist lady grocery-shops by wheeling her cart down the aisles and grabbing every can in sight. Her pantry looks like an arsenal, but she has on hand the makings of a fine casserole any time of the day or night. Because of this reliance on canned goods, the sodium content of Methodist funeral cuisine is high. If several Methodists die in a row, the ladies of the church complain that they can't get their wedding rings on; their fingers are too swollen." Being Dead Is No Excuse: The Official Southern Ladies Guide To Hosting the Perfect Funeral

Chicken Divan with Artichokes by Louise
4 cups cooked white rice - 2 cans cream of chicken soup - 1 cup mayonnaise (i substituted sour cream b/c I don't like mayo and it worked perfectly) - juice of 1 lemon - 1 rotisserie chicken - 1 box chopped broccoli, cooked - 1 can qtr. artichoke hearts - 1 cup grated cheddar - 1/2 cup bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients (break up the artichokes even more) except breadcrumbs. I added a little sage, garlic powder and pepper too. Put in a casserole dish & sprinkle breadcrumbs on top. Bake for 45-50 minutes & ta-da you have a super easy delicious casserole - one you will be eating on for days if there's just two of ya! Side note : if your husband refuses to eat broccoli, like mine, I would throw in food processor or try and chop up really tiny and say it's parsley. Otherwise you will wind up with a clean plate with the exception of a little pile of green stuff pushed to the side!

{ luckily, we're in the family so momma and i were each given a copy of this special book }

No comments:

Post a Comment